1 (edited by animix 2007-10-21 01:51:04)

Topic: Using external (48KHz max) processors in an 88KHz project

The reason for this madness :-O is because I have 8 external processors that I like/want to use, all of them have digital I/O capabilities but 7 of them are not capable of operating at sample rates above 48KHz.

Perhaps this will be of some help to those who might want to digitally integrate their old tried and true processors at higher sample rates

MADI as master WC to a Mytek Stereo96 AD converter.
Output the BNC and AES outputs of the Mytek Stereo96 A/D converter to a pair of Lucid clock distro boxes (this will provide a total of 12 BNC outs)clocking the following (of course, your particular clocking setup would be used as a substitute)

RME AES-32
RME ADI 648
RME ADI 4-DD
RME ADi 4-DD
RME ADI 8-DD
RME ADI 8-DD
RME ADI 8-DS
RME ADI 8-DS
RME Multiface (on a slave DAW)

<No daisy chaining of clock - all devices fed directly and are either internally or externally terminated with 75 ohm BNC caps>

Here's how it works:

AES 32 Totalmix 1:1 routing
Project sample rate set to 88.2KHz
AES-32 control panel Output Format - Double Speed>Single Wire

Routing to ADI 8-DD #1:

AES 32 outputs 1 & 2, 3 & 4, 5 & 6, 7 & 8 to #1 ADI 8-DD inputs 1 & 2, 3 & 4, 5 & 6, 7 & 8

#1 ADI 8-DD settings left side:
Source-AES
SRC-Active
Clock-EXT
#1 ADI 8-DD settings right side
Source AES
AES State-Pro
#1 ADI 8-DD AES outputs to PCM 91 AES in, V77 AES in, R-880 AES in, Yardstick AES in

Routing to ADI 8-DD #2:

PCM 91 AES out, V77 AES out, R-880 AES out, Yardstick AES out to #2 ADI 8-DD inputs

#2 ADI 8-DD settings left side:
Source-AES
SRC-Active
Clock-EXT > DS (very important-without this DS setting, the return signal to the AES-32 is mono)
#2 ADI 8-DD settings right side
Source-AES
State-Pro
#1 ADI 8-DD AES outputs to AES-32 inputs 1 & 2, 3 & 4, 5 & 6, 7 & 8

Additionally, I've got 4 more external processors here (a POD XT Pro (96KHz capable), a second Sony V77, a TC Electronics D-2 and a TC Electronics
M2000) patched into the AES 32 I/O #'s 9 thru 16 with the Sony and the two TC devices interfacing with 6 x Behringer Ultramatch Pro units in a similar
manner to what I am using with the ADI 8-DD units and these are handling the real time sample rate conversion to/from 88.2KHZ for these boxes. I have to
say that as many bad experiences as I have had with Behringer products, these particular boxes are and have been rock solid performers.......I do
keep a spare..just in case and will likely be replacing them with another pair of ADI 8-DD units when finances allow.....;o)

It's nice having 8 x outboard external devices in Cubase SX capable of processing at 88.2 KHz. It really does open up some possibilities and save
some DSP horsepower that can be used for other chores when working at higher sample rates.

FWIW.....;)

HDSPe MADI-FX, M-32 AD, M-32 DA, ADI-8 QS, ADI 192 DD, ADI 648, Mytek Stereo 96 AD/DA