Topic: Hardware Alert: FireWire solutions with Agere FW chip

Hello,

as already stated in the thread 'Workaround for Fireface iMac Problem'

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=974

there is a new FW 800 chip on the market from Agere, which seems to be incompatible (not only) to RMEs FireWire audio, and requires workarounds for successful operation.

The reason Apple used this chip instead of the former TI solution is easy to find: half the price and a lot smaller. So it is not astonishing that this chip now also begins to show up on Windows computers. We got our hands on a PCIe FireWire 800 card from Unibrain using this chip, and found the exact (!) same problems under Windows as under Mac OS X using this card.

Our examination of the problem showed that the Agere chip causes the Firefaces to issue a FireWire bus reset shortly after start of data transmission (isochronous mode). We tried a Motu 828 for comparison and found this to be affected as well (everything seemed to work, but playback did not start).

Therefore we have to declare this chip and all related products as incompatible, and expect a fix (if any) from Agere's side, by either firmware or driver updates.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Hardware Alert: FireWire solutions with Agere FW chip

do you know which apple systems are using this agere chip?

[url="vimeo.com/houdinifx/showreel"]vimeo.com/houdinifx/showreel[/url]

As far as I?ve found out those are:

- All new Alu-iMacs (discussed here: http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=974)
- All new Macbook Pros (Intel 965 Chipset, GeForce 8600M GT Graphics) since October ?07.

all new MBP's?  man so that makes them useless with a ff800.  so much for considering buyiong one of those.

[url="vimeo.com/houdinifx/showreel"]vimeo.com/houdinifx/showreel[/url]

So with the MBP's out, what IS a good laptop (PC or Mac) for Firewire Audio these days? Just curious...

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Here?s a workaround for the MBP?s:

http://www.siig.com/ViewProduct.aspx?pn=NN-EC2822-S1

UK distribution here:

http://www.northamber.com/admin/login.a … fault.aspx

I haven?t found a german SIIG-dealer, but this here is the one I found in germany which also uses TI-chips:

http://www.partsdata.de/Notebookzubehoe … _shop.html

I did not see any note that the TI chipset is used in this card....

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Information came from SIIG directly and also from Partsdata directly by telephone. Those cards are successfully used by some guys in the US (eg. Orangehill Audio) and I?m using one of Partsdata myself.

Also to be found in SIIG?s FAQ.

Quote from Partsdata:

Die hier angebotene ExpressCard (34mm) bietet zwei 9-polige Firewire-800-Buchsen (IEEE1394b). Als Controller kommt ein Chip von Texas Instruments zum Einsatz, welcher im professionellen Video- und Audiobereich besonders gerne verwendet wird.

Otherwise I wouldn?t write that.

Regards

Matt

I just bought my Macbook Pro 17" 2.4 gHz in October. I was considering an audio Firewire inteface for it. How can I identify the FW chip on my computer? System Profiler doesn't reveal any details. Is there software to ID the hardware specs? I do know the MBP has ICH8-M chipset. Thanks.

PC1 = HDSPe PCIe: DF-ADI-8 DS / HDSPe PCIe: MF2
MBP = HDSPe Expresscard: MF1

undertone wrote:

How can I identify the FW chip on my computer? System Profiler doesn't reveal any details. Is there software to ID the hardware specs? I do know the MBP has ICH8-M chipset.

The System-Profiler in OSX will not give any information on the FW-chipset. If it shows an ATI Radeon X 1600 there should be a TI-TSB82AA2 controller and a Intel 945 chipset used. If it shows the GeForce 8600M GT it most likely will be the Agere FW323-06 and the Intel 965 chipset.
In the device-manager of XP/Bootcamp the TI-controller will be shown as TI-controller, the Agere only as OHCI-conform host-controller. It would have to be Bootcamp, there?s no use looking in Parallels, all hardware is emulated. It?ll take less than a minute to kill that partition again if you do not want to use it.

So one (perhaps dumb) question: When MB and MBP's are equipped with that bad chip and several other audio interface manufacturers are affected, why does that all work with the Apogee Ensamble Interface?

Greetings

Jan

Hello,
Motu seems to work for some, RME says they don't.  The Agere chip is not as good as the TI but it's working for some.
I need to upgrade MBP's before the end of the year but now the best interfaces, RME, don't work.
My interpretation of the first post is that RME isn't going to fix it.  This is ridiculous for those of us that do this professionally.
H

OK, I need to know what's going on as it's going to impact my hardware decisions in the near future. I can't see a definite pattern on the Apple boards pointing to a "defective" Firewire driver or firmware on the newer Macs.

Therefore we have to declare this chip and all related products as incompatible, and expect a fix (if any) from Agere's side, by either firmware or driver updates.

Now taking in consideration that other manufacturer Firewire implementations do in fact work on the newer Macs (Apogee and Motu) is this because:

a) The TI hardware RME uses has an unsurmountable fundamental incompatibility with the Agere chips.
b) Apple isn't supplying RME with the information you need to solve the problem, either through neglect or self-interest.
c) The workaround is very difficult to implement and RME perhaps judges that it isn't worth the effort.

Interestingly, Focusrite has an Apple Firewire Audio Driver on this page. It claims: "...eliminates CPU spiking and other known problems with the standard Mac OS 10.4 firewire audio driver". Could this be the missing link? (BTW, Ensemble and Duet are the only two products from Apogee that only registered users can download the drivers for...)

Thanks.

14 (edited by paviglianiti 2007-11-18 22:07:11)

hi, it's Davide
just tried Apple FWAudioDriver 2.1.0, from Focusrite's dwnld page (thanks undertone), on my 20" alu iMac : same behaviour as to the previous, built-in one (CPU spikes never occurred, to be honest, just FF400 not being recognised at any audio app's launch, as you might know already). Went back from scratch.
At this point, after dozens of posts & replies concerning this issue, I've decided to make up my mind and start considering the 2/3 workarounds for this problem (pretty reliable, I have to say) as the right and only ways to get our FireFaces working properly.
I wouldn't want RME's developers to "heal" other manufacturers faulty products with long-time taking, risky implementations. Solutions are always at our hands...and hopefully  at LSI/Agere's.
For those of you who might say: "Christ, I paid for all this stuff and I want my machines to work flawlessly!!!" Well....you're damn right guys, but, given the fact that audio-production is one of my jobs at the moment, I couldn't figure out how to carry on with neither these "escamotages".

Regards

Davide

Regards
Davide

15 (edited by undertone 2007-11-18 20:43:00)

paviglianiti wrote:

Solutions are always at our hands...and hopefully  at LSI/Agere's. For those of you who might say: "Christ, I paid for all this stuff and I want my machines to work flawlessly!!!" Well....you're damn right guys, but, given the fact that audio-production is one of my jobs at the moment, I could't figure out how to carry on with neither these "escamotages".

I agree Davide: got to get on with it. And it affects a marginal group of users using a subgroup of marginal machines (x% of RME users of x% faulty FW of 6% mac users...). It's not on anyone's urgent todo list, that's for sure. And at least a workaround exists...

Hello! My first post. Can anyone confirm whether this problem also affects the latest Santa Rosa Macbooks? I am thinking of buying one for use with a Fireface 400.

Regards,

Martin

MC wrote:

isnt that a bit unrealistic? and just says that again apple computers are not compatible with rme interfaces?

hello MC

can I assume that RME is at least in contact with agere/LSI concerning this problem?

i simply can't believe that apple, agere/LSI and RME are all just sitting around waiting for the others to move!

do we - your costumers - have to fight this battle?

regards, hjalti

hjalti.bager wrote:

can I assume that RME is at least in contact with agere/LSI concerning this problem?

Of course we are. That doesn't change the fact that at this time it simply doesn't work, and nobody knows when it will (if ever) work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

...does this problem affect also the new mac book pro santarosa?
Matthias, please could you just clarify this point? It looks like that most user are a little a bit confused about this!

Many Thanks.

I hope RME will find the solution..otherwise the only solution will be to sell my ff400 and choose another brand..
:roll

mauritek wrote:

I hope RME will find the solution..otherwise the only solution will be to sell my ff400 and choose another brand..
:roll

You don?t have to. Once again:

Here?s a workaround for the MBP?s and other laptops with express-card slot. There are also cardbus adapters available.

http://www.siig.com/ViewProduct.aspx?pn=NN-EC2822-S1

UK distribution here:

http://www.northamber.com/admin/login.a ? fault.aspx

I haven?t found a german SIIG-dealer, but this here is the one I found in germany which also uses TI-chips:

http://www.partsdata.de/Notebookzubehoe ? _shop.html

yes I have seen these..for me it wouldn' t be problem to buy this as I live in London..but I do not want to use an adapter..if this is the only fix.. I prefer to use an RME express card with mukltiface II...that should be more stable and faster than firewire...

do you agree..

anyway thanks for the links...

:-)

mauritek wrote:

yes I have seen these..for me it wouldn' t be problem to buy this as I live in London..but I do not want to use an adapter..if this is the only fix.. I prefer to use an RME express card with mukltiface II...that should be more stable and faster than firewire...

do you agree..

I would agree.

mauritek wrote:

do you agree..

I?ve actually ordered it for my Digiface as well.

...agree...:cool:

Hello,
The pcie cards are not always an option - for maximum track performance we need esata for the drives and the only way to do this is using pcie for esata and firewire for audio.  The idea from RME that it may never work is a massive betrayal for those of us Mac users who have used RME products for years because they are the best in their category.  This is ridiculous because we need new computers and interfaces.
H

Hugh wrote:

The idea from RME that it may never work is a massive betrayal for those of us Mac users who have used RME products for years...

Sorry, but it was Apple?s "idea" to use a half-the-price-FW-controller, not RME?s. IMHO, if anyone "betrayed" customers, it?s Apple. Wouldn?t be the first time either...

If you read the threads in this forum again you should notice that there is more than one 'workaround' for this problem.

- FW 800 works perfectly. Just connect the FF 800 at this port.

- You can use an FW 800 to FW400 adapter cable. This way the Fireface 400 will work too (using the 800 port).

- The mentioned hubs/drives in between work too.

And we DID say we are in contact and working on this. You should understand that we can't encourage our customers to buy something now because we can't predict the future.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Many thanks Matthias for your explanation...I was waiting for your reply..
Cheers...

30 (edited by jasonkitchen 2007-12-07 16:08:25)

Did I get lucky? I purchased a new Macbook Pro in November. Specs are 2.2ghz w/ Nvidia Geforce 8600M GT. In Windows hardware manager, using bootcamp, it reports "Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller". I haven't noticed any inssues with my fireface800 so far, but haven't had time to do extensive testing. Just to be clear is the bug thats present cause minor instability/glitches or does it not work at all? I have not found very much info on the symptoms people are experiencing.

Thanks,
Jason

Hi,

if TI chipset then don't worry I think :-)
check with "DPC Latency Checker" in Windows XP or Vista
http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

best regards S-EH

S-E Hansson wrote:

Hi,

if TI chipset then don't worry I think :-)
check with "DPC Latency Checker" in Windows XP or Vista
http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

best regards S-EH

Wow! What a great little utility.  THANKS!

Regards,
Ira

MC wrote:

- You can use an FW 800 to FW400 adapter cable. This way the Fireface 400 will work too (using the 800 port).

Sorry, but does not work here!

Has anyone looked into this?

Regards,
Todd Lawton

Just want to update everyone on the Agere FW chip running on Windows XP64 and the latest 2.82 driver. It can actually run wonderfully well. I have a native PCI-E 1394B card (no pci bridge chip) bought directly from this Taiwanese manufacturer.

http://www.ioi.com.tw/products/proddeta … ID=1060092

My hardware configuration is as follows:

FWB-PCIE1X21B card from above manufacturer - even it is a PCIE 1X device but also works on 4X slot.
Granite Digital 9 pin to 6 pin 16 feet bilingual cable
FF 400

Here is the caveat: NO audio would get through FF400 in either recording or playback mode when either of the top 2 sockets of this card is used even though the Fireface mixer and control panel could start normally. But when the cable is plugged to the bottom socket, both recording and playback of 24/192khz work ok without any cracking noise whatsoever with buffer setting at 512 samples. I still cannot figure out why it works on 1 socket but failed on the other 2. Maybe if someone can lead me to a 1394 debugging tool the I can do some logging and find out why.

Patrick

36 (edited by anikspace 2007-12-14 10:25:44)

Hello all, I've just set up a new 2.4 GHz Alu iMac with my Fireface 400 and since this page helped me with my various head-scratching moments of frustration last night, I thought I'd share my experience.

At first I was getting all glitch and no audio. I went looking and found this post, after which I tried running the Fireface into an external hard drive and then into the FW400 port in the iMac - it worked, mostly, but I still got glitchy dropouts every 30 minutes or so - the audio cut out for 3 or 4 seconds and came back - which was mystifying. The external hard drive was in a Macally PHR-100AC model USB2.0/FW400 case.

Today I decided to try the FW800 port, so I ran the Fireface into the FW400 port on my 3-year-old LaCie 160GB external, and then connected it to the FW800 jack on my iMac (the LaCie drive has one FW400 port and two FW800) and this seems to be working beautfully, no droupouts yet, fingers crossed. The drive doesn't need to be powered on either - it simply passes the data through even when it's turned off, which is nice.

Now, I'm not sure if it's the chipset in the external drive that makes the difference, or if it's best to just avoid the FW400 port in the iMac and use FW800... but I thought I'd share what worked for me!

I should also point out that I'm only playing music through iTunes at this point to test things out - I haven't got my copy of Logic Studio up and running yet - so I don't know if bandwidth will be a factor when I'm trying to run audio both ways through firewire on that external drive. Anyone have positive or negative experience there?

Cheers, Andrew.

I've got the Belkin cable, too.

I'm getting pissed off with the volume knob bug in 2.55b, now, but I can't switch to 2.60. I shall be ditching my FF400 and getting a Motu Ultralite next week unless RME offers either a practical solution to this (i.e. not one that involves daisy-chaining the FF) or a timescale for when we can expect a fix.

Regards,
Todd Lawton

Any news, MC or RME Support?

Regards,
Todd Lawton

Good news: I've now got the FF400 working perfectly, with the latest driver.

Bad news: I have no idea how.

Regards,
Todd Lawton

Specifically: I went through the normal driver installation procedure, but instead of clicking "Restart" immediately, I unplugged the FF400. I then plugged it back in using a FW400 to FW400 cable. This returned the usual million errors crap as previously, but also, for the first time I couldn't get any playback at all from the FF. I then plugged it back in using the FW800 to FW400 cable, and it worked fine. THEN I restarted. Driver 2.60 is shown as being installed by the FF Settings and OS X, and the knob glitch I was getting with 2.55b has been fixed--so I don't doubt it's in there.

Apologies for my highly unmethodical way of going about this xD

Regards,
Todd Lawton

Thank you Todd for sharing your experience with us. I think you are doing a great job here. I'm gonna start to setup my system next week and will let you know how things are going. Hope rme support is working on the problem aswell...

fireface 800 imac24/2,8GHz/4GB/1TB

Hi,
I'm thinking about purchasing a FF400 for my imac 2.8 GHz. Can anyone tell me if the workarounds posted here are working succsessfully? Or are there still audio droputs, glitches or shutdowns? Which method is best? Daisy-chaining or FW800 cable?

I'm looking for audio hardware for the better part of the last months and it seems that RME has the best solutions when it comes to firewire. When I heard of the problems of RME firewire cards with iMacs I couldn't believe. I wonder if there is any working professional audio hardware for iMacs on this planet or should I stick to my old ATARI?

Greetings,
modulator

43 (edited by Todd 2007-12-16 18:34:24)

modulator: I agree, the FF400/800 are some way ahead of the competition in their price range. From what I've read about the iMac incompatibility issues:

1. The FW800 to FW400 cable seems to have worked for some people, but not others
2. It's possible that, for whatever reason, the 24" iMac has caused more problems than the 20" model (though this may simply be because Apple have sold more 24" than 20", so more people are discovering and reporting problems with them)
3. The same issue seems to be affecting other FireWire audio manufacturers--notably stuff from Mackie/Tapco--and has been since OS X.4.9 onwards. Presonus and Digidesign aren't even claiming to be compatible with Leopard yet. MOTU and M-Audio are supposedly OK, although in the case of the former, having checked out unicornation.com it seems that the 828MKII has a few of its own problems going on under Leopard
4. Connecting your FireFace via an external HD seems to be the only effective method at getting it to work at the moment. However...
5. ...Either the same FireWire issue, or a separate one, is also affecting some non-audio devices, including FW hard drives (I've seen Western Digital mentioned on the Apple forums)--so if you're planning on daisy-chaining your FF, and you don't already have an external HD, it's worth researching carefully which one you're going to get.

At the moment, no one is claiming responsibility for the basic problem--I haven't seen any official statement from Apple or Agere. RME's line--as, I might say, appears to often be the case--is that they won't accept that there is a problem with their own hardware/drivers unless/until they have specifically located and diagnosed it on one of their own machines. Which is fair enough; how can they understand a problem if they haven't encountered it on their own test rigs? However, at the moment we are lead to believe there is a fundamental incompatibility between Agere's chip's and RME's; considering that, with some messing about, I've got my FF400 working fine on this supposedly incompatible Mac, and some other users have done the same, I rather doubt this. Considering other manufacturers are having to release new driver/firmware packages to get their products to work with Leopard, I find it hard to believe that RME can get away without doing so--and it seems they can't.

I note with interest that elsewhere, it has been mentioned that "New firmware had to be released earlier this year by manufacturers of several USB interfaces to work with system updates for both OS X and Vista, despite some of them blaming Apple etc. at first." We all have to remember that Leopard is a new OS running in many cases on new computers that use different components to that which a lot hardware released even last year was developed on. Given that, it's not entirely surprising that there are problems arising; when DOESN'T something like this happen with a new OS?

That said, I maintain that it would be nice if one of the companies involved were to provide us with either a timescale for when these problems are likely to be resolved, or at least some news on what progress (if any) has been made so far. It angers me to think that we, the consumers, are sat around feeling frustrated, and unable to create, whilst it's entirely possible that the people who should be fixing this for a living are letting the days go by without really pushing for a fix (this is not a dig at RME, or even necessarily the others; just an inevitability of being in, as someone else put it here, X% of RME users using X% of incompatible Apples).

PHEW... right, I've spent far too much time on all this. I'm going to get back to MAKING SOME MUSIC :-D

Regards,
Todd Lawton

crystal clear.
D.

Regards
Davide

Thankx for your time Todd,
your post was indeed crystal clear. I think I'll check the FF400. I've read hundreds of posts about problems with the iMacs itself. My one is working very fine, although. Maybe I can make a deal with my RME dealer. If the FF400 is working on my iMac I'll buy it. If not, I'll buy an acoustic guitar. :-D
Cheers
m

1: Has anybody got the 24" and FF400 working with the 9-6 cable?

2: Could people post with what brand and model of hard drive they have got the daysy chaining thing  to work on a FF400?

I'm setting up my new system. 24iMac, 2,8GHz, fireface 800. Latest drivers and firmware are installed. iMac and fireface seem to commuicate perfectly. The connection is a fw800 cable (bothsides). I'm beginnig to check out the recording software. At this moment I don't have any problems.

fireface 800 imac24/2,8GHz/4GB/1TB

jasonkitchen wrote:

Did I get lucky? I purchased a new Macbook Pro in November. Specs are 2.2ghz w/ Nvidia Geforce 8600M GT. In Windows hardware manager, using bootcamp, it reports "Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller". I haven't noticed any inssues with my fireface800 so far, but haven't had time to do extensive testing. Just to be clear is the bug thats present cause minor instability/glitches or does it not work at all? I have not found very much info on the symptoms people are experiencing.

Thanks,
Jason

Just want you to know that I have experienced something similar to Jason here. After I ordered a MacBook Pro in November I noticed the various Agere topics on this board and I got a little afraid that I might not be able to use the FF400 I was planning to purchase. However, I received the computer, went to the local shop and tested the FF400, and everything worked fine so I bought it. I haven't checked what type of FW controller (TI or Agere) I have in Windows' hardware manager (Bootcamp), but at least it is one of the MacBook Pros with the Nvidia Geforce 8600M GT. I have had this system for nearly a month now, and there has been no sign of instability or what have you. Appears to be an exception to the rule of problems with MacBook Pros that come with Geforce 8600M, and proves once again that the only way to make sure of issues like these is to test it yourself.

Hi,

if running Bootcamp and XP Home or Pro
then download this app TSI - Thesycon System Info
http://www.thesycon.de/tsi/tsi.exe

"TSI is a Windows application that shows detailed version information about USB and IEEE 1394 bus driver stacks used in a Windows system. The generated report is in plain text format and can be copied to the clipboard or saved to a file. The TSI tool is useful to analyze problems caused by third-party bus driver stacks."

regards S-EH

villarriba wrote:

I'm setting up my new system. 24iMac, 2,8GHz, fireface 800. Latest drivers and firmware are installed. iMac and fireface seem to commuicate perfectly. The connection is a fw800 cable (bothsides). I'm beginnig to check out the recording software. At this moment I don't have any problems.

same configuration: no problems at all, playback or recording