Topic: White noise on Global Record playback

Hi-

I'm trying to get Global Record stable on an old system in order to use it to multi-track live performances.

I'm using an HDSP9652 PCI card with 1.08 firmware, driver version 3.2.7.0, and Digi Check 5.34.

The system is an old P4 single processor (2.4 Ghz) XP machine with a Shuttle SB51G mobo, 1GB ram.  Yep, ancient, but the system's only going to be tracking, not mixing nor overdubbing, so it should be up to the task.

Here's the issue:  global record (recording to a dedicated audio drive or the system drive, same result) appears to be tracking OK, but isn't.  On playback (8 tracks @ 44.1 kHz) of files over about 10 seconds, all 8 channels begin to output 0 dBfs white noise bursts.  I had also issues with DC 4.53 and driver 2.94 (6) where the recording would stutter as if it were fast-forwarding, in spite of playback being at the correct speed/ pitch.

And the weird thing: recording the same 8 channels at 44.1 kHz in Reaper works perfectly.

Any thoughts of how to fix this?

Thanks,

NFV

Re: White noise on Global Record playback

also, I just tested 16 channels of 44.1kHz recording in Reaper, and that worked perfectly over the 6 minute test duration.  (am feeding lightpipes into the HDSP9652 from a FF800) 

One other unique thing about this system: the machine has no keyboard/ monitor hooked up to it.  It's being controlled by a laptop via VNC.  The HDSP box has wired ethernet connection, FWIW.

Oh, one last thing: trying to play back the Global Record-recorded audio in Reaper yields unusable audio. 

It sounds like 44.1 kHz audio being attempted to play back at 48kHz: too fast, pitched up, and still with gaps/ stutters. 

The HDSP card is clocking in slave mode to the FF800 output via lightpipe, and reports a solid 44.1kHz lock in its settings window.  Global Record also reports 44.1kHz in the lower right hand corner of the application.

No clue what is going on here, except that reporting a solid lock is not solid at all - it must be SYNC.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

No clue what is going on here, except that reporting a solid lock is not solid at all - it must be SYNC.

Thanks, MC.  ADAT 1 and ADAT 2 report SYNC. 

Anything I should confirm either in the Digi Check setup or in the HDSP settings applet?

In addition to updating the firmware and drivers of the card, I have also removed and reinstalled DigiCheck 5.34.

Have you found any solution for this problem ? My problem symptoms are approximately same  even I think I have some extra problem (badluck) because I'm unable to get connected with it through ethernet connection, its continuously popping up like Some unknown device detected... Can you suggest me what should I try?

never did find a solution to this.  Found that Reaper works perfectly, and was a very inexpensive license, so I just went that way instead.