Topic: hdspmixer necessary for HDSP 9652

Hello all,

I have an RME HDSP 9652 PCI card[1] installed unter Ubuntu 12.04.1[2], kernel 3.2.0-33-generic-pae [3].

There's two things I need help with:
1. Is there a way to use the ADAT outputs of the card under "pure" ALSA, without jackd? For now I start up jackd and get system:playback_1 through system:playback_26 but I would very much like to just use (mplayer-style) hw:0.0 through hw:0.25 - any ideas/any alsa config files that would help me with this?
2. Using jack, I need to start up hdspmixer to hear any sound - without starting it I see all the jackd outputs, all the jackd inputs, the routing is ok - but no sound. Starting up hdspmixer gives me sound on my Behringer ADAT-to-analog outputs.
I suppose hdspmixer sets the volume - I'd like to do this without X and, most important, without user interaction. So can I copy/activate the volume settings the same way hdspmixer does from the commandline?

Thanks for your help,
Christian.

[1]: 01:0a.0 Multimedia audio controller: Xilinx Corporation RME Hammerfall DSP (rev 6c)
[2]: Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS
[3]: Linux music 3.2.0-33-generic-pae #52-Ubuntu SMP Thu Oct 18 16:39:21 UTC 2012 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

Re: hdspmixer necessary for HDSP 9652

I do not come here so often, so I hope you're still looking for an answer :-)

I can control my HDSP 9632 with amixer, and do not need hdspmixer. I assume the same goes for the 9652. I'm not at home now, and I do not remember the exact syntax, but if you read amixer --help and amixer -controls you should be able to figure out which control to use for the routing of the audio signals. You will have to specify for each channel input to which output channel it goes (and with which volume). Note that output channel mapping may change with sample rate.

You might be able to load/store the routing with alsactl, but I don't know really.

Hope this helps.
Maarten

Re: hdspmixer necessary for HDSP 9652

I'm configuring a 9652 under ArchLinux, and i have the same behaviour : I need to start hdspmixer for sound to become active on the ADAT outs.
But you can start hdspmixer without X launched, it will just complain that there is no display, but it will work.

I may be interested in your .asoundrc if you can share it.

Raphaël
-----------------
http://rmouneyres.free.fr     http://www.excellvoice.fr