1 (edited by Urban 2014-02-27 03:05:33)

Topic: Global Record app for iPad...

...that would be very nice!

Is there any Chance to get a very simple app just for Recording and metering, like global record in digicheck?

Peter

Fireface UFX | Fireface800 | Babyface | Octamic II | ADI-2 | ADI-648 | Audient asp 008

Re: Global Record app for iPad...

I would say it is not impossible, but don't wait for it. Even IF we do it it would not be available before next year. And that is only IF we do it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by garry 2014-02-26 19:48:21)

Urban wrote:

...that would be very nice!

Is there any Chance to get a very simple app just for Recording and metering, like global record in digicheck?

Peter

if you got an android phone or tablet (supported/tested products on their site) you can get this, which is basically a global record app that works with class compliant devices (like the babyface)..
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … p;hl=en_GB

very reliable, stable and perfect audio

_

RME HDSP9652 | | RME Digiface USB

Also note that there is a channel limit in Class Compliant mode, caused by the hardware and OS used. Under iOS it is around 22 channels record. So for example there is no way to record all (30) inputs from a UFX. A tool like that would be quite different from Global Record's most typical applications - mass channel recordings.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by garry 2014-02-26 21:20:57)

yup having both units, i use the ufx with a laptop, and backup record to durec... sometimes durec only.. its so stable and reliable.
the ufx is mains, so why would anyone use a battery powered tablet to record like the ipad??

when using the babyface its all about portability and running on battery... tablet/usb battery pack/babyface is a killer combo for mobile stuff.

how about you bring out a babyface II with durec smile maybe the "teenface"

_

There are some very interesting questions and concepts here.

One has to marvel at the ingenuity and foresight shown in the original BabyFace design, and the ability to adapt to changing environment.  However, as the BabyFace, being about 5 years old, can no longer be considered a 'baby' and there is 5 years development in technology, I can only assume that somewhere in the RME skunkworks department, a technology refresh is being considered.

One can assume that FPGA or DSP technology advances over the last five years would give a lift in performance and capabilities.  One would like to think that the mic preamp chips could be upgraded to the full spec chip. Maybe greater flexibility in 'standalone' or 'iMode' and powering possibilities.  And while a second USB for an external HDD for DURec purposes might be a bit much (particularly the added power requirements), perhaps the notion of an SD card slot to handle DURec output 'on board' might prove useful.

Such a device would not be a BabyFace Mk II,  but could build on the BabyFace product experience to respond to the increasingly important demand for audio capabilities for the burgeoning phone/phablet/tablet portable information appliances.

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

7 (edited by Urban 2014-02-27 09:56:08)

MC wrote:

I would say it is not impossible, but don't wait for it. Even IF we do it it would not be available before next year. And that is only IF we do it.

I hope you got time for it next year!

garry wrote:

if you got an android phone or tablet (supported/tested products on their site) you can get this, which is basically a global record app that works with class compliant devices (like the babyface)..

That app is only Stereo, but i have an ipad anyway.
An app like this is what i'm looking for, very basic.

MC wrote:

Also note that there is a channel limit in Class Compliant mode, caused by the hardware and OS used. Under iOS it is around 22 channels record. So for example there is no way to record all (30) inputs from a UFX. A tool like that would be quite different from Global Record's most typical applications - mass channel recordings.

Ok, but for the 10 babyface-channels it would be nice.
I think "global record app for ipad"  is the wrong name.
My dream is an app i can trust like all other RME products!
(And maybe iOS10 or 11 has no channel limitations...     ...maybe, i know!)

garry wrote:

yup having both units, i use the ufx with a laptop, and backup record to durec... sometimes durec only.. its so stable and reliable.
the ufx is mains, so why would anyone use a battery powered tablet to record like the ipad??

when using the babyface its all about portability and running on battery... tablet/usb battery pack/babyface is a killer combo for mobile stuff.

how about you bring out a babyface II with durec smile maybe the "teenface"

Yes, I build a little case for my Babyface with (at this time) xlr/trs combo-connectors for the input, Phones-out, y-usb cable and 5v/12v power connector included. Its like a breakoutbox with the babyface inside. I call it Babycase smile.

Babycase

With a batterypack  i'm really mobile, and independent from mains (had a power blackout experience one time on a small festival ...F$#k!).

But the multichannel-apps i know are very slow (at startup) and got all the functions you don't need for recording.

I need a trustful app like trustful rme hardware.

Peter

Fireface UFX | Fireface800 | Babyface | Octamic II | ADI-2 | ADI-648 | Audient asp 008

MC wrote:

Under iOS it is around 22 channels record. So for example there is no way to record all (30) inputs from a UFX.

UFX has DuRec onboard, it doesn't need any App based recording option I think. But UFX isn't as "handily" as Babyface or UCX - for example to use them as field-recorders. For those devices 22 recording-channels within TotalMix FX iPad would be more than enough smile

Urban wrote:
garry wrote:

What about "MultiTrack"?  [ https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/multitr … 22101?mt=8 ] Cheap, simple, stable..

Urban wrote:

No it does 22 channels from the UFX or 10 channels from my babyface.
very basic & quick & reliable..
I usually record 10 channels 24bit wav using the usbrecorder app, then transfer it to my main daw when I get home for mixing.

_

loonypac wrote:

What about "MultiTrack"?  [ https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/multitr … 22101?mt=8 ] Cheap, simple, stable..

Yes, i give it a try. The metering is a littlebit tiny, thats what i like in digicheck!

garry wrote:

No it does 22 channels from the UFX or 10 channels from my babyface.
very basic & quick & reliable..
I usually record 10 channels 24bit wav using the usbrecorder app, then transfer it to my main daw when I get home for mixing.

Sorry, i read only Stereo on the usbrecorder website, so i missread it.
They only have to port it to iOS for me smile

panatrope wrote:

Such a device would not be a BabyFace Mk II,  but could build on the BabyFace product experience to respond to the increasingly important demand for audio capabilities for the burgeoning phone/phablet/tablet portable information appliances.

Afterthought: maybe it should also have a form factor that allowed it to be closed coupled with an iPhone or iPad to form a working entity.

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

Urban wrote:
loonypac wrote:

Yes, i give it a try. The metering is a littlebit tiny, thats what i like in digicheck!

Does Digicheck work on iOS then?

Eastwood Records
www.eastwoodrecords.co.uk