Topic: Totamix control room section

Hello RME

Have you considered making a control room section in the Totalmix, or in a seperate window, with a control room knob/fader linked to the monitor main you’ve chosen? Maybe you can dedicate outputs to like three different monitors and have a monitor selector to? In this section you would also find the mono and talkback-switch. In an expanded view you will also find the phones levels (linked to the outputs you’ve chosen). If you can then choose to hide the rest of Totalmix (or have it in a seperate window) this will be a pretty small window that can easaly be placed on top of everything else without problems. Ultimately you will make a hardware midi/usb-control box to this section with a BIG-knob, monitor selectors and a talkback switch which also could be controlled by a foot pedal. What do you think?

Bjørn Ivar Tysse

Re: Totamix control room section

@bitlyd: Excellent suggestions!

bitlyd wrote:

Ultimately you will make a hardware midi/usb-control box to this section with a BIG-knob, monitor selectors and a talkback switch which also could be controlled by a foot pedal.

This hardware-controller already exists for years, but can't be used with RME interfaces because of Mackie-limitations and limitations in TotalMix + a "simple" naming issue that prevents connections between hardware and TotalMixFx (only TotalMix classic works) roll
http://images.thomann.de/pics/prod/267675.jpg

There would be 3 ways to use this box with 28 x 2 = 56! free assignable knobs, Jog as BIG-knob + Shuttle:
- Implementation of native EuCon within TotalMix or..
- Implementation of assignable Mackie-Commands to assign Jogwheel for Mains, Phones, Gains etc. or..
- Implementation of new Keyboard Shortcuts in TotalMix to assign Faders like you can do it with Jog of Advanced Remote Control as this box also can send every Keyboard commands, Keycombinations and Makros of Mac + Win Keyboards (e.g. FinalCut X, that does not support Mackie or EuCon, can be controlled very well in this way).

Btw. implementation of Keyboard Shortcuts would make Totalmix controllable with every simple Computerkeyboard!

RME says, implementations are not possible or they are to expensive to integrate in TotalMix (months of work). Avid isn't interested in user friendly support and development, e.g. the naming issue isn't solved for months/years.

Some of RME's boxes are compatible with RME's "ARC" (advanced Remote Control):

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_advanced_remote.php

http://www.rme-audio.de/images/products/products_advanced_remote_control_1.jpg

8 Buttons plus the encoder is "Pressable" too - Total of 9 assignable buttons plus encoder.  Works directly with TM even if TM is closed.

If you have a compatible RME unit, I highly recommend it - bar none!  I would not want to operate my MF-XT without it smile

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

The combination of UFX and ARC has completely eliminated a pile of gear in my studio! Simply Brilliant!

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

5 (edited by loonypac 2014-07-25 09:23:29)

loonypac wrote:

This hardware-controller already exists for years, but can't be used with RME interfaces because of Mackie-limitations and limitations in TotalMix + a "simple" naming issue that prevents connections between hardware and TotalMixFx (only TotalMix classic works) roll
http://images.thomann.de/pics/prod/267675.jpg

Finally i got this box to work with TM FX as a control room section deluxe optimized for UCX (under OSX) smile

• All Mackie-/Midi-commands are supported

• Use of jog + shuttle for Volume and Pan (latter only in Mackie-mode) as a really big knob

• Standard control of master/phones 1-4/Gain 1/Gain 2/Gain 1+2

• Additional 8 totally free assignable faderbuttons to control every single fader or combinations of faders = independent fadergroups from IN/PB/OUT (direct assign and/or Mackie Fader 1 - 8)

• Active jog function is shown in display

• 9 Buttons for submix selection (Mackie channel mute, solo is planned)

• Dim, Recall, Talkback, Mono, MasterMute, Speaker B, Trim, Phones 1-4 Cue

• Mackie bank-, channel- selection + IN/PB/OUT row selection

Usable in conjunction with ARC (= even more buttons + additional rotary fader) or standalone. You can lock a connection with TM FX (background use) or switch this controller to use it with other apps in foreground or another Host-Computer (e.g. with another TM FX) in the same network – one controller for all apps you want to control. For example I use it with Logic to control transport commands (play, start, jog, shuttle etc.) and can now switch over to TM FX.

"Development" is not ready yet, but all works great in this early version. I would like to optimize in future and then publish it for those, who are interested. I cannot test it with Windows-Machines, but it also should work there.

All you need is this box + Bome's Midi Translator (+ 2 setting files for EuControl and Midi Translator)

I'd be interested!  Plan to implement Artist controllers (part of eventual move to Pro Tools 11)

The ARC looks good too - I'd buy one today, but...
For Talkback control, we *REALLY* need a footswitch or external switch-closure / GPIO input.

Professional post-production studios usually have several talkback switches - in addition to console, perhaps one at producers desk, or a wireless remote box.

UFX+TMFX is a great setup; almost completely there, just need to sort out these few small matters. 

-jeremiah

1: MBP M1 Max 64gb
2: 2018 i7 Mini, 32gb
ProTools 2023.3, Live 11
UFX, FF400, Babyface

jeremiahmoore wrote:

For Talkback control, we *REALLY* need a footswitch or external switch-closure / GPIO input

http://www.amazon.com/Logidy-UMI3-MIDI- … B002YL81RW
http://midisolutions.com/prodfsw.htm